Another apartment complex in Antioch catches fire | Pith in the wind
Just before noon on Thursday, October 13, residents of Mallards Landing Apartment Homes were evacuated amid waves of black smoke. About ten units were affected, according to eyewitnesses. The complex is home to a few hundred residents in more than a dozen buildings.
“I saw smoke coming out of the other room, and within 30 seconds I had grabbed my car keys and was running outside,” said one resident, who preferred to remain anonymous as part of a statement. lawsuit pending against Morgan Properties, which operates in 19 states. “Other tenants were gathering in the parking lot.” The resident shared several work orders with the Stage detailing ongoing electrical wiring problems in the building that caught fire on Thursday. A work order is dated October 11.
Sandra Sepulveda, City Councilor for District 30, helped coordinate assistance to displaced residents. The Red Cross and the Hispanic Family Foundation are both involved in the relief efforts.
Mallards Landing is just off I-24 at Haywood Lane, a few miles from the Foxcroft Apartments complex, which burned down in June, and Harding Glen Apartments, which burned down in February. Dover Glen, which burned in May, and British Woods, which burned in June, are closer to Murfreesboro Road. Last month, fires hit The Village at Grassmere, a condo complex near the Nashville Zoo and Lyncrest Reserve in Bellevue.
Nashville Fire Department spokeswoman Kendra Loney told the Stage that determining the cause of a fire in an apartment can be like “finding a needle in a haystack”. The floors collapse on top of each other, blurring the scene for NFD investigators. Investigations are closed for the seven fires listed above. Mallards Landing and Harding Glen both turned out to be electrical fires. Investigators have not determined the origin of any of the remaining five fires.
“Unless someone runs away from the scene with a can of gasoline, or someone says they saw something directly, it’s hard to determine anything about the cause of a fire in apartment,” says Loney. She also warns that the increased demand for heating during the colder months can increase the risk of fire. “It’s our busy season – the heating elements come into play.”
A Morgan Properties employee at Mallards Landing referred the Stage in the company’s media relations department. The company did not respond to a request for comment in time for publication.